The Writing Center's Mission
- Provide a space for students writing for any course to increase their awareness of the writing process.
- Create texts that are appropriate to purpose and audience.
- Develop writing assignments that are rich in content, well-organized and grammatically correct.
Referrals to the Writing Center
- The PVCC Writing Rubric will serve as the basis to refer students to the Writing Center.
- Students receiving a C on a writing assignment in English 111, English 112, ITE/CSC and/or Writing Intensive courses will be recommended to visit to the Writing Center to revise the assignment.
- Students receiving below a "C" on a writing assignment in these courses will be required to work with a tutor in the Writing Center to revise the assignment for a better grade.
The Writing Center's Responsibilities
To support the goals of the QEP, the Writing Center will do the following. Note that italicized items are currently Writing Center initiatives. All other items are additions/modifications to services.
- Promote Writing Center services through classroom presentations with a special emphasis on SDV courses [which service students new to the College]; English composition courses [ENG 1, 3, 12, 13, 111 and 112]; and Writing Intensive courses.
- Work with students in Writing Intensive courses around topics related to writing selected by the instructor.
- Build a resource library, with the assistance of the QEP Implementation Team-online and in the Center-for student use to include materials such as: faculty-written manuals to serve as guides for writing in specific disciplines, handbooks, model student papers and software for writing practice.
- Expand workshops for students on selected areas of weakness including:
- Writer's block and writing anxiety
- Write Now: Overcoming procrastination in writing assignments
- Effective organization
- Research documentation [MLA and APA style]
- Avoiding plagiarism
- Paraphrasing, summarizing and quoting